Register or renew as a waste carrier, broker or dealer
How to register or renew as a waste carrier, broker or dealer. Includes who must register and when, charges, and how to make changes to your registration details
Due to office closures we are unable to provide copy cards at this time.
Please be aware that your reference number is proof of your registration and confirmation you are registered.
How to register or renew
There is no charge for a lower tier registration. You do not need to renew a lower tier registration.
The cost of a new upper tier registration is £154. This expires after three years. The cost of renewing an upper tier registration before the expiry date is £105.
You can renew your upper tier registration during the six months before its expiry date. Your new registration will begin the day after your current registration expires. You will need your registration number and the unique code we send you in your renewal letter or email.
All registrations are VAT exempt. We do not send invoices or receipts of VAT.
Apply to the correct regulator
If your business is based in Wales, you must register with us and follow this guidance.
Who must register
If you normally and regularly transport waste as part of your own business, you will need to be registered as a waste carrier. Normally and regularly means that it’s part of your usual business, even if you do it infrequently.
If your business arranges for waste from other organisations to be transported, disposed of, or recovered, you need to register as a waste broker.
If your business buys and sells waste, or uses an agent to do it, you need to register as a waste dealer.
Registration is a legal requirement and you are committing an offence if you do not register when required.
If you are an agent seeking to register or renew on behalf of an upper tier individual, please call us on 0300 065 3000. You will not be able to register for an individual online.
Check if you do not need to register
You do not need to register if you:
- are a householder carrying waste produced at home and not as the result of any business activity
- are a landowner removing fly-tipping from your land
- only carry waste between different places within the same premises
- only carry waste by air or sea from a place in Great Britain (England, Scotland or Wales) to any place outside Great Britain
- only carry waste from a country outside Great Britain to the first point of arrival
- carry waste for a marine operation that either requires a marine licence or can be carried out under a marine exemption
Declare relevant convictions
If you register in the upper tier you must tell us if you, an existing partner, director, manager, company secretary or similar have been convicted of an offence listed below. These are convictions that may mean you cannot register in the upper tier.
You should also tell us if an existing partner, director, manager, company secretary or similar has been convicted of a relevant offence since the registration was issued.
You do not need to tell us about any spent convictions.
Current relevant convictions are for offences under the following legislation:
- Regulation 42 of the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011
- Section 1, 5 or 7(3) of the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989
- Regulation 38 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2007
- Regulation 38 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010
- Section 33 or 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005
- Hazardous Waste (Wales) Regulations 2005
- Transfrontier Shipment of Waste Regulations 2007
- Section 110(2) of the Environment Act 1995
After you register or renew
We will send you confirmation of registration. If we cannot accept the registration for any reason, such as relevant convictions, we will let you know.
Your reference number is proof of your registration and confirmation you are registered.
Once registered your business will appear on the waste carriers, brokers and dealers public register.
You can order copy cords from us which are credit card-sized documents containing information about your registration. It is not compulsory to hold a copy card but might help you show your registration details to others.
Order copy cards when you register or renew online, or call us on 0300 065 3000.
You can order multiple cards. They cost £5.00 each.
If you need to change your registration
You must let us know about changes to your registration details within 28 days of the change.
You can change your activity type. For example, if you are registered as a carrier and dealer, you can change to carrier, broker and dealer. This is free for lower tier registration and costs £40 for upper tier registration.
Call us on 0300 065 3000.
If your business's legal entity changes, you will need to make a new application for registration. A change of legal entity happens where:
- you, as a sole trader, change to a limited company
- your partnership becomes a limited company
- a new individual takes over your business
- a company takes over your business and it becomes a new legal entity, with a new company number.
You cannot change a lower tier registration into an upper tier registration. You would need to apply for a new registration and pay the £154 fee.
Who your registration covers
Who is covered by the registration
|Individual or sole trader||The individual and any person employed by that individual as an employee who is undertaking work for the individual|
|Company||Anyone employed by the company as an employee undertaking work for the company|
|Partnership||Any specified partner and anyone employed by the partnership as an employee undertaking work for the partnership|
|Charity or voluntary organisation||Anyone employed by the charity or voluntary organisation undertaking work for the charity or voluntary organisation|
|The Local Authority (LA)||Any employee of the LA undertaking work on behalf of the LA|
|The Secretary of State for a department||
Any employee of the department whilst undertaking work on behalf of the department. Note the registration would apply to all parts of the department.
Once you have registered as a waste carrier, broker or dealer you have responsibilities around transporting waste.
For upper tier carriers, we will provide refunds to customers based outside Wales who incorrectly register with us, or if you accidentally register with us twice.
To request a refund, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- the reason for the request
- your reference number
- the payee name on the card you used to pay for the registration.
Refunds can take up to 30 working days.