How to classify and assess waste
As part of your waste duty of care you must classify the waste your business produces:
- before it is collected, disposed of or recovered
- to identify the controls that apply to the movement of the waste
- to complete waste documents and records
- to identify suitably authorised waste management options
- to prevent harm to people and the environment
You should use this guidance if you produce, manage or regulate waste.
When completing waste documentation the waste must be classified using a code.
The guidance will help you select the correct code for the waste and in particular decide whether the waste is hazardous or non-hazardous.