What is a drainage rate?

Drainage rates

To fund work on drainage channels and ordinary watercourses, each property is subject to an annual contribution known as a drainage rate. The rates applicable and the method of payment will depend on the use made of the land and property.

Rates categories

There are two categories for drainage rates:

  • Agricultural land and buildings
  • Other land (such as domestic houses, factories, shops etc)

You only need to pay us directly if your property falls into the ‘agricultural land and buildings’ category. Rates on other properties are paid to the local authority through Council Tax or Non-Domestic Rates.

Drainage rates

Charges vary for each of the 14 drainage districts in Wales

Read more about the 2020/21 drainage charges

How do I pay my rates?

You can pay your rates by credit card, debit card, bank transfer (BACS) or by cheque (made payable to 'Natural Resources Wales'). You should send your cheque to PO Box 663, Cardiff CF24 0TP.

Payment details
Company name: Natural Resources Wales
Company address Income Department, PO BOX 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP
Bank: RBS
Address: National Westminster Bank Plc, 2 ½ Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA
Sort code: 60-70-80
Account number: 10014438

Please remember to include your unique Land Drainage Account number (on the top right-hand corner of your invoice) with any payments you make.

Pay in person at your bank

You can also pay your rates by cheque, free of charge, at the counter of any NatWest bank, or at your own branch. You should ensure you obtain a receipt from the NatWest bank for any payment you make.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Care Centre, who will be able to help you with your payment.

What to do if I no longer own land or if my details change?

You will need to inform us if you sell some or all of your land, otherwise you might still be charged. For us to update our records, you will need to provide us with proof of sale and the new owner’s details.

Update your details

If you need to update your details, please contact our Customer Care Centre who will direct you to a member of staff who can deal with your request. You can send a printed copy of your proof of sale to the staff member’s address or by email.

Last updated