Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

Carrying out your own work in a drainage district

Information about drainage districts in Wales, all of which are administered by Natural Resources Wales

Water level management and oversight

Natural Resources Wales has an oversight role in all matters that are likely to have an impact on water level management and drainage within drainage districts. We also control works and activities undertaken by others that might affect our watercourses. 

Land Drainage Consents

If you want to carry out works in a drainage district, or undertake your own maintenance work on a watercourse, you will need to apply to us for a Land Drainage Consent.

Find out how to apply for a consent, how much it costs and how long the process takes.

Main rivers 

If your work involves main rivers, you can find out more information about flood defence consents.

Apply for flood defence consent

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.