Apply for a low risk activities (band 1) marine licence
A Band 1 marine licence is for activities that are considered low risk.
- low potential impact
- low risk criteria
- eligible activities
- method statements
- contacting others
Band 1 licences can be issued for a maximum duration of 12 months.
Before you apply
When to submit your application
You must submit your application at least two months before it is required.
When you'll need a detailed method statement
You will need to provide a detailed method statement if the proposed works are any of the following:
- within a sensitive area
- replacement piles
- beach management
Documents you'll need to provide
You'll need to upload the following documents to your application:
- a scaled extract of an Ordnance Survey Map or Admiralty Chart with location of project, complete with North Arrow and Scale
- construction plans and sectional drawings showing the proposed works below/seaward of MHWS, if applicable. They should give details of the materials to be used (for beach replenishment the quantity, particle size and source of material to be deposited and deposit location is also required)
- correspondence with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Trinity House or The Crown Estate
- correspondence with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments
- details of any preapplication advice correspondence you've had with us
Apply for a band 1 marine licence
Pay your fee
When you've submitted your application you'll need to pay your fee of £600. Pay by calling us on 0300 056 3000 between 9 and 5, Monday to Friday, or by bank transfer to:
Company name: Natural Resources Wales
Company address: Income Department, PO BOX 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP
Address: National Westminster Bank Plc, 2 ½ Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA
Sort code: 60-70-80
Account number: 10014438
We cannot process an application until the correct fee is paid.
After you apply
We will normally determine Band 1 licences within 6 weeks of submission of all the required information. If we decide that your application does not need a detailed method statement, we will normally determine it within 3 weeks.