Check if you need a wildlife licence during forest operations

Wildlife, habitats and rare plants must be considered if you are:

  • felling trees in a woodland or forest
  • creating or managing a woodland or forest

You may need to apply for a protected species licence before you can carry out any work.

We can help you take the necessary precautions, comply with the law and apply for the licences you may need.

If you are planning on cutting down trees you may also need to apply for a felling licence.

Protecting wild and nesting birds

Any forest or woodland operations, such as cutting down trees, can disturb wild and nesting birds.

To reduce disturbance to breeding and nesting birds, all coupes (areas of a woodland or forest that have been identified for work) must be surveyed before starting any woodland or forest operations.

All wild birds, their nests, and their eggs are protected. It is an offence to intentionally or recklessly:

  • kill, injure or take any wild bird
  • take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird whilst that nest is in use or being built
  • take or destroy an egg of any wild bird
  • possess any live or dead wild bird or the egg of any wild bird, or any part of a live or dead bird

You might be able to download a general licence before applying for a specific bird licence from us. We issue general licences that allow you to carry out certain activities that affect wild birds. If your activity is not covered by a general licence you can apply for a bird licence for specific purposes. 

Protecting wildlife

If you are carrying out any tree or woodland operations work which could affect wildlife or their resting place you will need a protected species licence.

If you have any of these wildlife species in your woodland or forest, read our guidance about what you should do:

Protecting rare plants

Some plant species that can be found in woodlands are protected by law. The types of protected rare plant species that can be affected by forest operations are:

  • Fen Orchid
  • Floating Water-plantain
  • Killarney Fern
  • Shore Dock

If you are carrying out any forest or woodland operations work, or your work affects any rare plants you will either need a forestry and woodland management licence.

Forestry or woodland management licence

You can apply for a protected species licence if you are working in a woodland or forest and are planning to:

  • kill
  • injure
  • capture
  • disturb
  • transport
  • damage or destroy a breeding site or resting place

Apply for a forestry or woodland management licence

Contact us

You can contact us for help at any time before or during your licence application.

Last updated