Disposing of your household waste

As a householder, you have a waste duty of care. This means that you must only transfer your waste to someone authorised to accept it.

Your waste is not just usual weekly refuse, but includes furniture, electrical items, building waste and green waste.

By making sure that waste is handled safely and only passed to people authorised to receive it we can protect the environment and human health.

Arranging for someone to take away your waste

You must make sure that the person or organisation you choose to take away your waste is registered with us.

If you use a private business such as skip hire or house clearance to take away your waste, check that they are a registered upper tier waste carrier.

If a charity, voluntary organisation or local authority collects your waste, they can do this with a lower tier registration. 

Waste from work on your property

If a tradesperson carries out work on your property, they are responsible for the waste they produce including its transport and disposal.

If, for example, an electrician replaces an old fuse box or light fittings, they must properly dispose of the waste. The cost of its disposal should be included in their charge for the work.

If a tradesperson takes away waste that you produced - for example if you add your own waste to their skip - you'll be responsible for ensuring that waste is transferred to a waste carrier.

Taking your own household waste for disposal

Before you take your own waste to a local authority's household waste and recycling centre, ask them if they can accept that type of waste.

If you want to take your waste to a site run by a private business, check if they appear on our public register of permitted waste sites.

Asbestos waste

Local authorities will sometimes accept asbestos waste. Contact your local authority about asbestos disposal.

Keeping records

You are not legally required to keep evidence that you checked if a waste carrier or a site is registered. If your waste is fly-tipped by the person collecting it, records you keep can show that you met your duty of care. These records will also help the authorities to identify those responsible.

We'd advise you to keep the following:

  • A record of any checks you make, including the waste operator’s registration, permit or exemption number

  • A receipt for the transaction which includes the business details of a registered waste operator

  • Details of the business or of any vehicle used (registration, make, model, colour) which can be linked back to an authorised waste operator

As a householder, you do not need to complete waste transfer notes.

Fly-tipping Action Wales

You can find the advice you need to get rid of waste safely, legally and responsibly on Fly-tipping Action Wales.

Waste Duty of Care Code of Practice

Read more about meeting the requirements in the Waste Duty of Care Code of Practice. 

Last updated