Marine renewable energy developments
Resources for marine developers
Marine renewable energy projects
Marine renewable energy includes:
- Tidal stream
- Tidal range
Marine renewable energy can have impacts on the environment including, birds, marine mammals, benthic ecology, fish and physical processes.
Marine renewable energy developers must assess how their project may impact on the environment.
Guidance, advice, evidence and data
Find advice, data and evidence for your marine renewable energy development:
- Marine licence information and guidance on applying from our permitting service
- Marine and coastal evidence reports
- Guidance on using adaptive management for marine developments
- Guidance on scoping an Environmental Impact Assessment for marine developments
- Guidance on marine habitats and species data and uses in developments
- Guidance on conservation legislation for marine vertebrates in Wales
- Guidance on how to carry out assessments on benthic habitats
- Guidance on marine physical processes and EIA
- Evidence report on marine mammal site characterisation for marine renewable energy
- Evidence report reviewing tidal energy project envelops and marine mammals
- NRW and Environmental Assessments
Other information sources
- Welsh Government Marine Planning for the Welsh National Marine Plan
- Marine Energy Wales bring together marine renewable energy stakeholders
- The Crown Estate manage most of the seabed and award leases for developments
- Tethys where you can find marine renewable energy information and research from around the world.
Wales’ natural resources offer great potential to generate renewable energy from the wind, waves and tide. Through sustainably managing these resources we can ensure the right development in the right place, help meet decarbonisation targets and enable blue growth in Wales.
The sector is still developing and projects are still at demonstration stage. This is helping to grow understanding of environmental interactions which can be built into future projects.
If you are considering a marine renewable energy project in Welsh waters, please get in touch with us at an early stage firstname.lastname@example.org