Our response to Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis

Flooding has impacted people and property across Wales over recent weeks and our thoughts are with those communities affected.

Jeremy Parr, Head of Flood Risk Incident Management for Natural Resources Wales has written a blog about the events of Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis

Three named storms crossed the UK during February, Ciara, Dennis and Jorge. The Met Office has reported that February 2020 has been the wettest February on record for Wales.

Provisional data shows that rainfall amounts from Storm Ciara over 18hrs during Saturday/Sunday showed widespread figures of 50-100mm, with 103mm recorded at Llanrwst and 119mm on site in the Glaslyn catchment.

During Storm Dennis there was exceptional rainfall particularly over the Brecon Beacons and South Wales Valleys. River Taff and Rhondda catchments received more than 160mm in some places, which is more than a month’s rainfall in a day.

The Met Office summary reports for each Storm are available to read here:

My property has been impacted by a flood 

  • Do not do anything that may endanger your health and safety
  • Contact your insurance company and follow their advice
  • If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible
  • Contact your local authority if you do not have insurance and follow their advice
  • Follow the advice from your local authority about waste clean up
  • Flooding can have an impact on your physical and mental health, please remember that advice is available from a range of organisations

More advice is available on our what to do before, during and after a flood webpage.

Financial support

If your home or business has been affected, you may be able to receive financial support to get you back on your feet.

The Welsh Government has stated that if your home was flooded during February 2020 you can claim for financial help.

Local information

Your Local Authority can advise you on:

  • Community Flood Recovery Grants
  • Emergency/alternative accommodation
  • Council Tax exemptions
  • Waste collections
  • What to do with sandbags after a flood (a contaminated sandbag is one that has been touched by flood water, sewage, oil or fuel). This now needs to be treated as contaminated waste

Find contact details for your Local Authority.

Beware of scams

It is important to be aware of rogue traders. If you require specific advice your local authority’s trading standards department and local police force will be able to help you.

You can also contact Citizens Advice. Their Consumer Helpline number is 0808 223 1133 and their Welsh Speaking service is 0808 223 1144.

Here are some general pieces of advice:

  • speak to your insurance company first
  • always check identification - legitimate callers will be happy to wait outside your property while you call their organisation to verify their identification
  • use sites like Trustmark to find registered tradespeople
  • get several quotes for any work
  • check trade body approval or certification
  • don't not feel pressured to commit on the day

If you believe you have been scammed, you can report it to Action Fraud. Report online to Action Fraud or call on 0300 123 2040.

Investigating flooding events

Flooding can have several sources – from rivers, tides, sewerage networks or simply when the ground cannot hold any more water. Therefore, we will need to work closely with our partners in local authorities and the emergency services to fully investigate the flooding events and this will take time.

To help our investigations and to gather information, please send any dated photos with specific locations taken during the incident of where the water reached, where the river burst its bank or details of whether a defence overtopped to enquiries@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk.

Please note we may not be able to respond individually however we will review and collate all the information provided.

Working in or around a river: temporary measures for floods in Wales

In response to the unprecedented weather and flooding, we have implemented support for emergency repair work in or near main rivers.

Register for Flood Alerts and Flood Warnings

You can sign up for free flood warnings.

If you think you have registered for the service but did not receive a Flood Warning or a Flood Alert, please get in touch with us so that we can check if you are registered with your up to date contact details.

More information and support

You can find details of organisations who can offer help and support on our what to do before, during and after a flood pages. 

Contact us

If you have a general enquiry or want to report an incident please call us on 0300 065 3000.

You can also find more information by calling the 24/7 Floodline service 0345 988 1188.