Specialist Coal Tip Management Officer
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment until 31 March 2024.
Work Pattern: Full Time, 37 Hours per week.
Post Number: 203470
You will be contracted to the NRW location stated in this advert, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
The post holder will ensure the routine inspections of colliery tips and hazard sites located on the Welsh Government Woodland Estate (WGWE) in South Wales are undertaken. The role will require that all sites are inspected by our contractors in accordance with our programmed inspection schedule. All inspection reports will subsequently be reviewed, and a work programme developed and implemented. The post holder will be required to ensure all sites are managed in accordance with best practice and maintained appropriately to help minimise the risk of landslides, pollution, spontaneous combustion and flooding.
The post holder will ensure all inspections are recorded and managed on NRW’s Asset Management System and subsequent work is delivered within agreed timescales.
The post holder will require experience of managing colliery tips and hold a suitable geotechnical engineering qualification and have relevant engineering and management experience.
The key element of the role will include managing suitable contractors in delivering the work programme in terms of designing and implementation of remedial work. The role will require exemplar project management skills and principles, including financial, programme, scope, risk and contract management and supervision.
The post holder will also support NRW’s incident response team with any colliery tip incident planning requirements and develop key policies and processes required to be delivered by operational teams for individual colliery tip sites.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensure all tip inspections are recorded and managed on NRW’s Asset Management System and subsequent work is delivered within agreed timescales.
- Collaborate with Senior Officers and Senior Technical Leads across multi-disciplinary teams in NRW. Identify all consents and permissions required to deliver work and comply with these in a timely manner.
- Champion health, safety, wellbeing and environmental objectives, including CDM2015, UKWAS and ISO14001.
- Demonstrate exemplar project management principles, including financial, programme, scope, risk and contract management for managing colliery tips.
- Manage the procurement of all suppliers and contractors. Undertake your duties in line with delegated authority and NRW policies and procedures.
- Prepare, track and manage project programmes, provide accurate forecasting of project milestones. Understand and manage programme delivery risks.
- Write and maintain register for projects and act to manage financial, commercial, legal, operational and reputational risks. Inform senior staff in good time to help resolve matters.
- Provide specialist knowledge and advice (either via themselves or competent contractors) into the pre-construction information so that any engineering works can incorporate these details into the design and construction.
- Manage project communications to effectively engage and influence Local Planning Authorities, SuDs Advisory Boards and other external stakeholders to facilitate project delivery to quality, time and budget.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues to achieve solutions that deliver projects.
- Identify and share lessons learned and best practice.
- Incident Response requirements: Required to take part in incident response activities.
Qualifications, Experience & Knowledge
You will be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of the following:
- Educated to a minimum of degree level in a geotechnical engineering or related technical subject, or equivalent demonstrable experience.
- Post holders should have significant experience of programme & or multi-project management and have or be working towards professional accreditation (E.g., Prince 2).
- Awareness of Environmental habitats and wildlife legislation.
- Extensive knowledge, understanding and application of CDM2015 and other Health, Safety & Environmental risk management.
- Extensive knowledge of drainage and water management in upland environments, complying with Forest and Water Guidelines and the European Water Framework Directive.
- Strong ICT skills in AutoCAD, ArcGIS and Microsoft Office software, including MS Project.
- UK full driving licence.
- Post holders should be a member of professional body (e.g., ICE, CIWEM, IAgE) or working towards Chartered Professional Status in their field.
Welsh Language Requirements:
Essential Level 1 – Able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Benefits of Working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- Agile and Flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days Annual Leave, rising to 33 days
- Generous Leave Entitlements for all your life needs
- Health and Wellbeing Benefits and Support
- Weekly Well-being Hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to Apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date 12 February 2023
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Philip Morgan at email@example.com
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.