Test Analyst (Web Applications)
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Post numbers: 203436
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
We’re looking for an experienced Test engineer to join our growing Digital Services Team.
Over a million people access information and services on the Natural Resources Wales website every year. These include helping businesses comply with environmental regulations to protect the Welsh environment and helping house holders understand their flood risk and prepare for flooding. It’s also an important platform for other public bodies and used by policy makers to access the evidence they need to help make decisions. And much more in-between!
Working in a multidisciplinary team, you will be responsible for testing all areas of the products including functional, business requirements and accessibility.
You can find out more about our vision for user-centred services for the people of Wales in our Digital Strategy.
Your responsibilities include:
- Assist the CMS Delivery and Product Managers to plan, design and specify requirements for the testing activities within the programme to ensure links are made with other programmes to avoid/anticipate potential risks.
- Providing essential input into translating requirements into tests, test planning/design and test metrics, working with business analysts, project managers and test managers.
- Work with technical staff and internal users of the publishing products (for example website CMS and intranet platforms) to deliver the test needs of new Digital related projects and change to existing applications. This will include integration testing, user acceptance and regression testing.
- Appraise the effectiveness of test runs and communicate the outcome, including capturing lessons for future learning across Digital Services.
- Monitor progress of work, compliance, identify gaps in the delivery of testing priorities and take remedial action to enhance the service and ensure appropriate reallocation of time and effort.
- Develop test management best practice and learning, promoting innovative approaches and methods in test management.
- Raise awareness of the importance of accessibility in the testing of applications, working with users, project managers and expert contractors to ensure applications are appropriately accessible and provide the tests to confirm this.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to understand technical & business requirements to identify test data requirements and produce test conditions, scenarios and scripts in preparation and execution of a full range of testing including; functional, Integration and Regression activities across multiple teams.
- Ability to create and maintain test documentation: e.g. test plans, TTRM, Test Exit reports, Test estimate schedules, and contribute to overall project test plans. Operate the agreed defect life cycle, ensuring defects are assigned to the relevant party, accepted for re-test, re-tested and approved.
- Sound understanding of structured test models (e.g. Agile, Waterfall, V- Model), and the ability to work within them appropriately, technical architectures. (Microsoft Cloud technology).
- Understanding of the use of test metrics to provide accurate reporting including test progress, scripting, defect tracking, and completion reporting using testing tools and will require applicants to be fully conversant with tools for test requirements.
- Excellent technical skills and knowledge including:
- Working for/within an organisation which is “data rich”, collecting and generating its own data for use in regulating others, managing its assets or informing others.
- Building/working with corporate applications using cloud hosting services such as Azure and of working in environments using MS Sharepoint including Office 365
- Excellent communication and team working skills with the ability to work collaboratively and at pace responding to changes in environment, timescales and priorities, including the ability to work with senior management and internal and external customers and suppliers presenting complex/technical information in a format appropriate for the seniority and technical understanding of the audience. It is imperative to maintain assertive communication in the face of resource availability challenges from business users.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Email the following to: Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk quoting the post reference 203436
- Your CV
- a covering letter to support your application
- no more than two sides of A4
- explain why you’re interested in the position
- provide evidence of why you’re suitable, based on the ‘Responsibilities’ and ‘Qualifications, experience and knowledge’ sections above
Application closing date 29 January 2023
Interviews will take place on Microsoft Teams
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Ian Johns at Ian.Johns@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.