Category Team Leader (ICT and Strategic)
Closing date: 29 November 2022 | Salary: £41,150-£46,147 (Grade 7) | Location: Flexible
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: Full Time, 37 hours per week
Post number: 203416
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
As a Category Team Leader (ICT and Strategic) for the Procurement Department you will report directly to the Procurement Team Leader, supporting the delivery of commercial strategies and Service Plans. You will be responsible for a team of professionally qualified personnel, offering support, guidance and expertise on commercial matters, whilst empowering the team to perform their duties as Category Leads when assisting the Business Owners they work with.
You will have an active role in driving the organisation’s Value For Money outcomes, improved corporate compliance, planning, performance, policy and strategy, in the context of procurement and category management.
You will assist the Procurement Manager in progressing the Procurement Service Plan and will contribute to the delivery of the NRW Commercial Strategy, promoting good governance and compliance across NRW throughout.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the identification, development and delivery of category management and procurement solutions across NRW.
- Leading on the design and implement contract mechanisms relating to supply chain compliance and sustainability, anticipating and responding to new legislation and alterations to the Public Contract Regulations, Well-being of Future Generations Act and other UK or Welsh Government legislation.
- Being accountable for identifying and managing organisational risks relating to procurement, making decisions in line with your delegated authority.
- Bringing about sustainable & ethical business benefits through the development, delivery and enabling of the procurement governance frameworks wider value for money drivers, inclusive of sustainability, social value efficiencies and community benefits.
- Leading on or being part of project teams seeking to continually improve guidance, policies and procedures, along with supporting tools, templates and training associated with procurement and category management.
- Leading on establishing and maintaining good relationships with senior managers and external partners, influencing them to contribute to, support and adopt policies and processes and adapt their activities in line with business and environmental needs.
- Leading / working closely with other enabling services teams in the management of and process improvements for contracts as required.
- Managing and developing the Procurement team members and be fully accountable for their performance, contribution, development and well-being. Identify and address your own learning needs to improve procurement and category management capabilities; recognise team gaps, recommend steps to build procurement capability.
- Incident Response requirements: May be required to take part in incident response activities.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
You will be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of the following:
- Full membership of The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (MCIPS) (Essential)
- Substantial experience as a Senior Procurement practitioner, in the application of knowledge and the specific requirements of the post, in particular Category Management.
- Financial and commercial management, leadership and influencing skills. (Essential)
- Transferrable experience of using commercial approaches to deliver business objectives. (Essential)
- Expert understanding and application of commercial concepts, practices, governance & techniques. (Essential)
- Transferrable experience of delivering complex commercial initiatives. (Essential)
- Relevant and recent experience of managing a commercial team. (Essential)
- Experience of managing a dispersed team remotely. (Desirable)
- High level understanding and experience of risk management and commercial accountability. (Desirable)
Welsh language requirements
Essential: Level 1 – Able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for People
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- Agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- Generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- Health and wellbeing benefits and support
- Weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date: 29 November 2022
Interviews will take place between 14 and 16 December 2022 through Microsoft Teams
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Vernon Lambert at Vernon.email@example.com
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.