Water Quality Specialist Advisor
Closing Date: 16 April 2023 | Salary: £37,308 - £40,806 (Grade 6) | Location: Flexible
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment until 31 March 2024 There may be the potential for this appointment to be extended or become a permanent position at a later date, however this cannot be guaranteed.
Work Pattern: Full Time, 37 hours per week
Post Number: 203298
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
To lead on the development of information and advice which will enable improvements in water quality across Wales, delivering benefits for the environment, communities, and economy. You will work closely with colleagues and teams across NRW to identify priorities and develop project plans. You will have an appetite for solving problems as you lead the delivery of water quality policy, guidance and advice. You will build relationships with officials from Welsh Government, water companies, eNGOs and other sector representatives to ensure Wales develops an ambitious programme of water quality improvements.
Your responsibilities include:
- Preparing technical assessments for new or revised Water Quality policy, drawing on a range of information and data sources; working with EPP staff to draw in relevant information and evidence.
- Managing the preparation of material to inform the development of NRW, WG and other Partners policy, advice and guidance documents; Manage the development of procedures, tools and guidance and lead the delivery of new ways of working.
- Liaising with external stakeholders such as Welsh Government, sector representatives and partners to ensure the timely and effective delivery of project, policy or strategy obligations.
- Advising on evidence needs and opportunities and project manage agreed evidence projects, in line with the agreed evidence programme.
- Supporting engagement with sectors, partners, WG, Ofwat, EA, SEPA, Water UK and water companies and other Environment bodies in the UK; and be the lead point of contact for customer queries.
- Maintaining knowledge of the water sector identifying the implications of legislative, technology and market changes for Natural Resources Wales and the water environment in Wales.
- Contributing to task and finish groups, commissioned through the Business Boards, to prepare defined products as required.
- Collaborating with the Team Leader to develop and deliver an agreed Personal Development Plan
Qualifications, Experience & Knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Knowledge of: Welsh, UK and EU legislation related to Water Quality; Welsh, UK Government policy drivers, strategic plans and initiatives in Water Quality (WG Water Strategy, wider UK strategies); and the issues and opportunities in Wales.
- Experience of technical analysis and interpretation of a range of complex water quality and environmental information and data sources; analysing large data sets using spreadsheets and relevant models.
- Working with water companies, local authorities, eNGOs, Governments (UK), farming unions; representing NRW on key policy groups (Wales/UK).
- Working in a programme and project management environment with Project Management experience and/or qualifications.
- You will be a member of CIWEM or another relevant professional institution and/or working towards membership.
- Share your knowledge and expertise to help solve problems, supporting all Heads of Business in EPP as required.
Welsh Language Requirements:
Essential Level 1 – Able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the Welsh language requirements specified i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for Resources
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- Agile and Flexible Working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days Annual Leave, rising to 33 days
- Generous Leave entitlements for all your life needs
- Health and Wellbeing Benefits and Support
- Weekly Well-being Hour to use at your choice
- Competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to Apply
Please send a completed Application form to Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk using the post number as the email reference
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date 16 April 2023
Interviews will take place on 27 April 2023 through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Geraint Weber at Geraint.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07909 831421
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.