What is whistleblowing

This is when a worker reports a private or public organisation for certain types of wrongdoing. 

The wrongdoing you disclose must be in the public interest. This means it must affect others, for example the general public.

We are listed as a prescribed person for wrongdoings relating to the environment and natural resources. This means, if you do not want to report your concern to your employer, you can report it to us.

Employees are protected by law from being dismissed or penalised by their employers for 'blowing the whistle'.

Concerns can be raised about an incident that happened in the past, is happening now, or you believe will happen in the near future.

Complaints that count as whistleblowing

You are protected by law if you report any of the following:

  • a criminal offence, for example fraud
  • the company is breaking the law 
  • a miscarriage of justice
  • someone's health and safety is in danger 
  • damage to the environment
  • improper conduct or unethical behaviour
  • if you believe someone is covering up a wrongdoing

Get free confidential whistleblowing advice from Protect.

Complaints that do not count as whistleblowing

Personal grievances (bullying, harassment, discrimination) are not covered by whistleblowing law, unless it is in the public interest. Check your your organisations grievance policy or contact a Trade Union representative.

Speak to your employer if you have concerns about your terms and conditions or any matters affecting your employment.

Contact the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) for help and advice on resolving a workplace dispute.

Raise a concern


Or you can write to:

Colette Fletcher, Head of Governance & Board Secretary and Jacqueline Kedward, Head of Internal Audit

Natural Resources Wales

Cambria House,

29 Newport Road,


CF24 0TP

What to include

You should present your concern in writing, outlining:

  • the nature, background, and history to your concern, giving any relevant names, dates, times, locations, what was said, what you observed
  • the reason and/or grounds for your concern
  • the name of any individuals suspected of malpractice
  • the extent to which you have personally witnessed or experienced the problem
  • any documentary evidence available

You should be able to demonstrate that there are reasonable grounds for your concern and should include as much supporting evidence as possible.

You may find it easier to raise a concern collectively if there are two or more of you with the same concern. 


We treat all reports confidentially and make every effort to protect your identity. 

In some cases you may need to provide a statement, or there may be a legal obligation to reveal the discloser’s identity. If this happens, we will make every effort to inform you in advance and protect you from any victimisation or harassment.

If you report your concerns publicly before reporting (for example, to the media or on social media), in most cases you will lose your whistleblowing rights. 

Whistleblowing hotline

The only way to be completely anonymous is to report your concern to Connect Assist Ltd. Freephone 0800 138 6591 (8am to 6pm – Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays). Connect Assist is an external third-party provider. Unless you tell them otherwise, they will keep your details confidential.

What happens next

We will be in touch within 10 working days to acknowledge your concern.

You will be contacted as soon as reasonably possible to discuss your concern. You may have a Trade Union representative or colleague present at any interviews.

If you have raised your concern with Connect Assist (the whistleblowing hotline), then they will be your main contact and collect the details of your concern. 

We can't say exactly how long the investigation will take. But the investigating officer will ensure it is done as quickly as possible without affecting the investigation. You will be kept informed of progress and given a written summary of the outcome.

Last updated